Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Our very own Prince William, or is he a king? or godfather? - It's all Will power

bless & wiley

Wiley number 4

Wiley, Wiley, Wiley... he is certainly a man full of surprises and popping into the official charts at number 4 is certainly a surprise if not a shock to many. Hats off to both Bless Beats and Wiley for their chart success and lets hope in the coming weeks when the track is released physically on CD and vinyl (You might still be able to grab some white label promos of it) on May 5th that they give Madonna and her wrinkly knees a run for her money. Still though No1 on Itunes singles for 2 weeks is a very nice look indeed. With all this added attention on Wiley he's literally been popping up everywhere, which is strange because he's usually no where to be seen. Those who haven't already should check out The Guardian's podcast featuring Wills, as well as a great review by NME, the Allhiphop.com interview done by Rajveer Kathwadia, Wiley in RWD (front cover poser) and MTV interviewing our godfather (great interview, weird croche zoom ins tho). Who said Wiley was bad with the press?


bentley

Lethal Bizzle - Keys To My Bentley (Dexplicit production)


dancewithme

Dizzee Rascal Featuring Calvins Harris - Dance with me


sweep

Skepta featuring Wiley - Rolex Sweep (Bless beats production)


dancelikeme

Ribz featuring Skepta - I Know You Wanna


It seems in the process of WMR hitting the charts, the electro beat has been jumped on by everyone and their mother, some call it a bandwagon, some call it ripping off but it also can be seen as a tried and tested way to get your foot in the door. Kind of like when JME sold a 100 tshirts and then the next day you pop into your local recordshop and you see 50 other different variety of phrases etc, or when everyone and their aunty came out with a channel U video/ mixtape. If someone has made money from something I bet the 50p in my pocket someone has tried to rip off and make their own angle out of the idea, that's business and certainly is music. Above are some recent experiments from grime mcs jumping on electro beats. I hear Tinchy Stryder is about to drop a track and possibly a video called Stryder Man with the same dance electro feel to it. Let's just hope the chorus isn't along the lines of 'Stryder Man knows you want to take the keys to my bentley while I'm sweeping up dust in my kitchin while simultaneously wearing my casio' or something vaguely amusing. Dizzee has also just finished a video for his track Dance with me which features Calvin Harris, look forward to seeing cameos by all the Dirtee Stank camp, including his new signing Jammer.



There's a competition over at Skepta's myspace to be in the Rolex Sweep video, all you have to do is send a youtube video of you trying to do the dance. If only I could dance...

I received outtakes from an interview with Wiley by Rajveer Kathwadia who thought you lovely people would enjoy reading.

Did you intentionally set out to make something that was going to be accepted for the charts?
No this is what it is. Bless Beats produces a lot, so he made that beat with the sample in it and he’s played it to me a couple of times and the first time I heard it I said, ‘You know what? That’s good. In electro they will accept that.’ I knew that much, and I was pondering on it but I thought, ‘Shit, but I’m doing Race Against Time, I can’t do that.’ But one day I woke up and said, ‘I can see some money in that tune.’ So I’ve done that, sent it to Sammy B, it got to the radio. After about 2/3 days it was getting played. 4/5 days it got played a bit more. After about 7 days they wanted to sign it. So then we went to the office, got that signed and since then I’ve just been making more grime. And so obviously I was making Rolex for my album cos I was trying to make different sorts of dance music for it, but then I thought, this should go separate, so I let that go. But after I was thinking, ‘Sho, everyone’s gonna moan. But they haven’t even moaned. No one’s said, ‘Oh Wiley you sell out.’ Like no one ain’t saying it. I’m thinking, ‘Maybe ok, it’s a form of dance music that we came from maybe? I dunno.’

Over the past two years I think we’ve nearly had 10 discs of music from you. I know this might sound stupid, but do you ever feel like you do too much?
My uncle and a lot of people who are older than me and don’t wanna see me fall, and even one of my Muslim friends who said to me, ‘You don’t need to give so much, it could only take just one to give you all of what everything else will give you.’ So obviously people tell me stuff and I go and ponder and think, ‘Oh he’s right, but music’s my job and I don’t do any other job so for me to make a tune is fun, so I just have lots of fun but then sometimes you lose the balance. And look what’s happened with Rolex. There’s me trying to make a groundbreaking grime album and then this tune comes out and it’s mad.

How come you’ve got so much faith in the kids?
Me and them three kids are the only thing that would have come close to The Movement. We would have done them. It would have not took long. The Movement is a strong thing. Scorcher, Devlin and Ghetto are dangerous. And Wretch, but I’m not really into Wretch too much even though he’s a smart dude. Mercston obviously is in it as well but them three are very dangerous. Spitting wise, if you go on a set with them you’re in trouble bruv. I can do what they’re doing, but it’s not for me to copy that, I’ve got that chip inside me for me to do that, but sometimes I sit there and thing on any tempo, they are comfortable. And that means a lot to me sometimes cos maybe I haven’t tried to be comfortable on every tempo. I’ve just been between 125-140. But then there’s other tempos where they fire, and that’s what I respect about them.

Talking of the Movement, Ghetto recently released his Who’s Got? track going at you. How do you feel about that? Are you gonna respond?
Obviously he’s doing his thing. You see Ghetto, he’s my brother. We do music. Obviously I’ve got a respect level for him but you see me, in the game I face any challenger. But with me when I clash, other people can feel the power of the clash. Sometimes I feel that people like Skepta and Ghetto don’t choose the power hours. They choose the ones that they know they’re gonna win, whereas I’ve been into ones where I did not know that I was gonna win. The difference is Ghetts dropped that and is doing his thing but really he should be after Kano or someone with power. Sometimes I think people choose the wrong opponent. Or the wrong opponent gets matched up like Frisco and Double O.

So why does someone like you, who is arguably the most powerful person in grime clash others?
I do it to actually test my competition’s levels, and war is just like a cussing match basically. True or false. All the stuff in the war, you have to be able to deal with it or you’ll take it to heart. Like ‘I’ve got a tune called Kicked Out The Game and yesterday Trim rung me up and said, ‘Ahh you’re trying it, you’ve got a bar for me.’ When I’ve got the first two 24’s which are nothing to do with him and the third 24 is for Sway. Cos Sway’s saying stuff on his mixtape. The bar was for Sway, but he thinks it’s for him. So sometimes it goes the other way cos sometimes people take on board the wrong bar and it upsets me like that but whatever, cos you might say something, then I’m gonna say something, and then we’re all gonna say something until the end of the earth and then what? Sometimes it gets silly. I might have done the same thing.

Do you ever feel like the scene started at the wrong time for you? Would you like to be the same age as some of the other people in the game?
Nah the scene started at the right time, but I wasted years though. I know when I’ve done that. If I’d put every bit of effort into it I could have gone so much further.

We haven’t seen an Eskimo Rave in a while, is there any on the way?
I’m doing one in May still, but I don’t even want no grime nights. I want grime concerts. I want all the kids all around the country who like different artists out of the scene to say, ‘We want this big concert to happen and everyone comes out and performs the best of their best.’ That’s what I really want instead of a rave. I’ll do it, but in every club scene in every music, you’ve gotta be careful. It’s a dangerous place club land, I’ll be honest with you. I’m a man and I’ll go club land now like it’s nothing but it can turn messy. Cos what it is, is alcohol. Cos alcohol makes me people go… and drugs is one part of it as well.

9 comments:

  1. Best Grime blog period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:38 PM

    This Electro bandwagon thing is terrible. Trust Bizzle to jump all over it in the baitest way possible, he was the one trying the hardest to make a P out of that "Grindie" fiasco. Next thing you know man will start talking about "Grelectro" or something.

    Grime interviews are funny btw, half the time they just chat about anything rather than what they've been asked. They have their own thing they want to say rather than staying on topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:38 PM

    This Electro bandwagon thing is terrible. Trust Bizzle to jump all over it in the baitest way possible, he was the one trying the hardest to make a P out of that "Grindie" fiasco. Next thing you know man will start talking about "Grelectro" or something.

    Grime interviews are funny btw, half the time they just chat about anything rather than what they've been asked. They have their own thing they want to say rather than staying on topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:11 PM

    lmao lethal b is tryin it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:27 AM

    I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

    Sorry for offtopic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
I'm tired of them rap neeks walking round in their akademik suits, Yankee hats with the flat peeks.
Home | HYPERFRANK | Contact